Stonehill Produce – Ranch

Growing Locations & Season

With four bloom cycles each year, avocados are always in season in Mexico. During each bloom cycle, fruit is initially harvested from orchards in low elevations, moving higher as the season progresses. Fruit picked early in each season has a lower oil content, which lessens the intensity of the flavor. As each season progresses the oil content rises. In addition, there are differences in the fruit picked early in the season from orchards in low elevations, compared to avocados picked later in the season from the mid- and high-level elevations. This knowledge is important when storing the fruit, as avocados with a high oil content can ripen within 24 hours whereas fruit with a low oil content may take up to a week.

Below is a map of the forty-two municipalities that produce avocados in Michoacan, Mexico. Of those forty-two areas, six areas are the main yielders, which produce 79% of the total crop. The remaining fourteen areas produce 21% of the total crop.

Michoacan, Mexico Avocado Growing Locations

Cotija ( elev. 1640 m ) Tinguindin ( elev. 1650 m ) Tangamandapio ( elev. 1660 m ) Los Reyes ( elev. 2020 m ) Tocumbo ( elev. 1800 m ) Periban ( elev. 1640 m ) Tancitaro ( elev. 2100 m ) Parangaricutiro ( elev. 1800 m ) Taretan ( elev. 1100 m ) Urupan ( elev. 1700 m ) Ziracuaretiro ( elev. 1380 m ) Tingambato ( elev. 1980 m ) Salvador Esalante ( elev. 2200 m ) Ario de Rosales ( elev. 1800 m ) Acuitzio ( elev. 2080 m ) Turicato ( elev. 740 m ) Tacambaro ( elev. 1640 m ) Madero ( elev. 2220 m ) Zitacuaro ( elev. 1900 m ) Tuxpan ( elev. 1900 m ) Hidalgo ( elev. 2060 m ) Periban ( 13% ) Tancitaro ( 19% ) Urupan (19% ) Salvador Esalante ( 9% ) Ario de Rosales ( 9% ) Tacambaro ( 10% ) Cotija ( 3,475.98 ac ) Tinguindin ( 8,420.73 ac ) Tangamandapio ( 3,256.40 ac ) Los Reyes ( 8,911.66 ac ) Tocumbo ( 8,420.73 ac ) Periban ( 14,554.66 ac ) Tancitaro ( 45,699.42 ac ) Taretan ( 2,285.97 ac ) Urupan ( 29,652.50 ac ) Ziracuaretiro ( 4,371.96 ac ) Tingambato ( 4,753.00 ac ) Salvador Esalante ( 27,029.28 ac) Ario de Rosales ( 28,526.59 ac ) Acuitzio ( 2,868.92 ac ) Turicato ( 7,018.78 ac ) Madero ( 841.07 ac )